Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Here it goes...

My sister has been blogging for a few months now and loves it, so she had been nagging-I mean encouraging me to give it a try. I am one of those people who likes to read, watches lots of television and then formulates opinions on everything, which I promptly share with her, my husband and my co workers. So I guess she thought I should play nice and share with others, or I'm getting on her nerves. She also suggested the topic for my 1st. post-my latest addiction Mickey D's new sweet tea. My family is country, they hail from South Carolina-Orangeburg to be exact and though I was born in Queens, and raised in Brooklyn (NY) we grew up with many traditional southern influences. My Nana makes a mean sweet potato pie and people have had something akin to a religious experience after having my mother's fried chicken. I put that out there so you'll understand, that I know a little something about the finer points of many things southern and I know a little something about what makes a good "sweet tea". I know that if you travel down Interstate 95 that once you hit Maryland, from then on there is no need to ask "Is the tea sweetened?" Of course it is because downsouth (yes, that is one word) that's how people drink tea. Now I don't know about you, but I don't expect much from these large fast food places. I appreciate the familiarity, so that if I'm in a food bind or a money pinch I can get something and not have to think to hard about it. I don't expect perfection, but something crazy has happened and dammit McDonald's has stumbled upon something so close to perfection it boggles the mind. The tea has the perfect amount of sweetness, it doesn't loose its flavor when poured over a heaping mound of ice and the lemon ( you need to actually squeeze the lemon wedge into your tea) adds the perfect twang. OMG!! that tea is good. How could I leave out the most important part, the cup that it is served in is 32oz. and all this sweet goodness costs only $1.oo. That's right you heard me, $1.00. I have been drinking one everyday for the last couple of weeks. I plan my commute home accordingly so that I will have enough time to stop and get a sweet tea before I get on the train. The other morning I was feeling a little stressed and I had one to calm my nerves and it worked. When my kids ask for a sip, I get upset, I don't want to share. I know this all sounds crazy, but I have no shame, there is a sweet tea monkey on my back and I think I can carry the extra weight. I learned tonight while preparing for this post, that a 32oz. serving has 230 calories and that doesn't even bother me that much.
Well.......maybe it bothers me a little. Maybe that little tidbit is the one flaw, in this otherwise flawless invention. Okay, okay that part really sucks. I don't want to act rashly, now that I have this caloric information, I will need to think very carefully about my next move. Maybe, a sip of sweet tea will clear my head.
Maybe I will have another opinion to share soon.......Be well.


Some extra stuff about me:
I am completely wrapped up in this election, "Obama 08". I am sick that I will have to wait another year to see what national/international catastrophes will go unsolved because Jack Bauer is not available and I have loved Matthew Fox from his days on "Party of Five" so following him to the "island" on Lost was a no brainer for me. I recently learned to play the game "Celebrity" and I loved it and I never commute to work without my Ipod.

6 comments:

The F_Uitlist said...

Welcome to the blogspher Big Sister. I LOVE IT!

FYI you are really getting all Whit-Whit about this tea!

The F_Uitlist said...

ok this is the blog fort knox, owner approval and word verification.

Jeez

Black atelier said...

Great Keisha, I wish I had the drive and the stamina. I learned how to play the game "celebrity" last Year it is great . If you play with people who dont hold back....That Tea Is GOOOOOD

Dee said...

Before anything else, YOU DRINK SWEET TEA EVERY DAY?! Ok, repeat after me, "I shall drink Mickey D's Diabetes Tea only once a week." Good Lord! It is good though; I actually need to squeeze in 2 pieces of lemon or else its too much for me.

Oh, and the South actually begins once you get below Trenton, New Jersey....LOL.

Congrats on the blog...have fun with it! Oh, and tell Ms. Pattycake to fry me up some chicken.....you sho right about how tasty it is!

12kyle said...

Welcome to the Blog World

Your family is from Orangeburg? Word? I graduated from SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY in Orangeburg. And yes...it is country. LOL

Obama in '08? I like you already! LOL

Carline said...

OMG, Love that sweet tea to..2 pieces of lemon is just right. As for when those boys ask for some I dont share and tell them to drink their selected drink or I have water for them to drink...Too Bad

As u know...Obama #1