Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Just like me...



I have a 9 yr. old son and a 7 yr. old daughter and they are great kids. Both are cute, smart, funny, amusing and did I mention cute? :) But boy do they get on my nerves. They take forever in the bathroom, they won't get up in the morning and they won't go to bed at night. When they're playing together its loud and when they're fighting its even louder. I don't have enough arms to be able to pick up after them and if I am breathing I'm doing laundry. Uggg!
The other day my daughter thought is would be fun if we took turns pretending to be each other. She went first and as me, she started yelling at me and saying all of the things I say to them about what they are not doing. She was really scolding me. Well the whole thing stopped me in my tracks and I had an idea of what she and her brother must feel like when I am laying into them. I realized that while like every parent I get frustrated, that I need to keep that type of stuff in check. My issues are my issues and there is no need to share the burden with them. They are only doing the kinds of things kids do, making messes, being noisy, many of the same things I did when I was a kid. Hell, I still hate to get up in the morning. I have got to be more aware of how I talk to them and what I say. After all it is my job is to build them up, not beat them down. I want them both to be effective communicators when they have to fend for themselves out in the world and those lessons start with me. Our kids want to be like us, no matter what, whether we are at our best or our not so best. It is our responsibility to make the effort to be on the side of our best as often as possible.
I have a 9 yr. old son and a 7 yr. old daughter and they are great kids and I am lucky to have them.

Maybe I will have another opinion to share soon.....Be well.

3 comments:

The F_Uitlist said...

Big sis you are on a roll with these post. Three in two days. Awesome.

I've watched you with those little one and I think you do an awesome job even when you are about to blow. I'm sure we tested mommy the same way, ha Pay backs a BEEEEPPPPP! (just in case that little girl of yours is reading this).

Unknown said...

Keisha,

I am enjoying your post. Funny and thought provoking. Makes me think about how to control myself with my children.

Keep doing the dag on thing.

Carline said...

I think you are a phonominal person and very mindful in what you do. Yes, our kids can get on our nerves and as you said there is no manual and no instruction in what and how we deal with them. Yes, I agree with your sister, you do an awesome job. One thing I admire is that you can relax. Not like me I can't relax. Your kids will remember those moments.. the fun they had with you.
I can only imagine how son #1 would role play...I am embarrassed to think.

I am enjoying this...Keep those blogs coming because every once in a while we need a realty check.