Thursday, June 19, 2008

cabello dominicana ...


During my hiatus I spent a weekend in the ATL and I learned a few things. First, let me say I had a wonderful time, hubby and I stayed with friends who moved down there 2 years ago and we miss them terribly, so it was good to spend time with them. They have a lovely home, a great family and wonderful friends.

On to the lessons...
Here in NY Dominican hair salons have become the go to locations for black hair care. There is literally one on every block from the tip of Washington Heights all the way out to the suburbs of Long Island and NJ. The basic hair care services that most of them offer are so highly sought after because they are inexpensive and the wait time is minimal. On most occasions when I get my hair washed and set I can expect to pay within the range of 12-20 dollars and be in an out of the salon inside and hour and a half. Well I learned via my trip that Dominican salons are not the same everywhere. My hostess, myself and one other person set out bright and early on the Saturday morning of my stay to get our hair done. We arrived at the salon about 8:30am (they opened at 8am.) My hostess signed us up on the customer list the night before, so we didn't have to wait very long to get started (the sign up thing made a few sisters unhappy, since they arrived at 8am and we were serviced before them, but anyway). Well, let me tell you 4 hours later and $25.00 lighter, we made our way out of the salon. You heard me, 4 hours later, I too was flabbergasted. I could not believe that we had been there so long, but what was even more hard to believe was that the other patrons did not seem to mind the wait. It seemed that as far as they were concerned that was par for the course. Well, it is not and $25.00, I didn't even get a deep conditioner. There is not enough competition in the ATL, there is no urgency to get the customer in and out. Dammit, they need more Dominicans in Atlanta: good, cheap black hair care demands it.

Maybe I will have another opinion to share soon...Be well.

2 comments:

Mrs. MR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. MR said...

What I said and then removed for grammar reasons was:
Sorry about the picture, I hate it. I don't know why it is so pixelated. Is pixelated a word?